Thermostat device actionValue

Posted on
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:05 pm
berkinet offline

Thermostat device actionValue

I have searched everywhere but I can't find the answer to this question, so... HELP!

In a Thermostat device UI, clicking the up and down heat/cool setpoint value arrows sends an action like:
Code: Select all
Requested actionMode: actionMode : 0
actionValue : 1.0
configured : True
delayAmount : 900
description : decrease heat setpoint of thermostat by 1.0
deviceId : 218361091
replaceExisting : True
textToSpeak :
thermostatAction : DecreaseHeatSetpoint
My question is, where is the actionValue set? Or, is it fixed at 1.0? When running a thermostat in Celsius, 1 degree change is a lot.

Posted on
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:23 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Thermostat device actionValue

The UI shown in the main window and on Indigo Touch currently always increment/decrement by 1° (for both C and F). The action for incrementing/decrementing allows you to specify the amount (including fractional), so if you are creating your own Control Page you have more granular control over how it works.

I have on my request/ToDo list to improve this. It is a bit more complicated than just using 0.5° if it is C because not all Celsius hardware supports fractional degrees. So we have to allow the user to specify how it works on a device by device basis or program into all the device models what increment/decrement values to use.

Posted on
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:23 am
berkinet offline

Re: Thermostat device actionValue

matt (support) wrote:
The UI shown in the main window and on Indigo Touch currently always increment/decrement by 1° (for both C and F).... ...I have on my request/ToDo list to improve this. It is a bit more complicated than just using 0.5° if it is C because not all Celsius hardware supports fractional degrees. So we have to allow the user to specify how it works on a device by device basis or program into all the device models what increment/decrement values to use.

Understood. Since Device attributes are contextual (they change based on the type of device) it might be possible to allow thermostats an inherited property like TempChangeIncrement . Then a plugin could do something like:
Code: Select all
<Devices>
   <Device type="thermostat" id="proliphixTstat">
      <Name>Proliphix Thermostat</Name>
      <ConfigUI>
         <Field id="TempChangeIncrement" type="menu" defaultValue="1">
            <Label>The setpoint change in degrees for each UI action:</Label>
         </Field>
However, I can also work around this using logic in actionControlThermostat. So, it is not really a big issue.

Thanks

Page 1 of 1