[ANSWERED]can SupportURL be dynamic in any way?

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:40 am
MartyS offline

[ANSWERED]can SupportURL be dynamic in any way?

Currently, I have the following:

Code: Select all
<SupportURL>file:///Library/Application%20Support/Perceptive%20Automation/Indigo%206/Plugins/apcupsd.indigoPlugin/Contents/Resources/reportFields.html</SupportURL>
so the "help" page is expected to be bundled with, and specific to this version of the plugin.

Only trouble is that when the current version of Indigo ("Indigo 5" or "Indigo 7") doesn't match the fixed path ("Indigo 6") then the URL cannot be found. Is there any way to reference a dynamic string instead? I don't see any examples in the documentation like that (such as a CallbackMethod-type reference), but I'm hopeful.

/Marty

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:56 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: can SupportURL be dynamic in any way?

I wouldn't recommend making the support url a file url for exactly this reason (didn't know anyone was doing that in fact). The best bet (and what the vast majority of developers do) is to point it to a forum or forum thread where people can go to ask questions or where your documentation resides, etc. - that was the intention. You'll need to make sure you URL encode it though - forum posts have characters in it that need to be URL encoded.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:43 am
MartyS offline

Re: can SupportURL be dynamic in any way?

jay (support) wrote:
I wouldn't recommend making the support url a file url for exactly this reason (didn't know anyone was doing that in fact).

I'm just working with what I was given. :wink: I'll setup something along the lines of what you suggested. For the plugin's "About …" URL it makes sense to point into the forum, but for the plugin and device configuration URLs I think I'll want to go to a URL that's specific for each task — not into the middle of a thread.

/Marty

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:44 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: [ANSWERED]can SupportURL be dynamic in any way?

You could make a sticky post with the specific info for that dialog box.

Or you could use the GitHub Wiki pages for the same thing, if you don't want to use forum posts.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:50 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: [ANSWERED]can SupportURL be dynamic in any way?

Right - there are a variety of options available. The common theme is to not use file url's since you can't guarantee that they'll be correct.

Unless your plugin has a huge number of dialogs and such, I'd suggest that you just point them all to a doc thread. Shouldn't be too hard for the user to find what they're looking for.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1