Script error but no idea what script

Posted on
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:24 am
Different Computers offline

Script error but no idea what script

Just upgraded from 2021 to 2022.1 and now I see this in the log regularly:
Code: Select all
 Script Error                    schedule "Log Output" embedded script error:
   Script Error                    'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 in position 551: ordinal not in range(128)
   Script Error                    Exception Traceback (most recent call shown last):

embedded script, line 16, at top level
     embedded script, line 7, in tail
     File '/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.10/lib/python3.10/encodings/ascii.py', line 26, in decode
       return codecs.ascii_decode(input, self.errors)[0]
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 in position 551: ordinal not in range(128)

But there's no reference to tell me which script this might be happening in. Any easy way to zero in on this a bit more? I don't have that many embedded scripts.

Also, odds are I won't have the slightest idea how to fix this, so if the error gives any of you pythonistas an idea of how to proceed once I find the script, I'd appreciate it!

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:27 am

Re: Script error but no idea what script

Oh wait... something with the schedule "log output". Duh..... let's see.

import sys
import collections
import re

def tail(iterable, N):
    deq = collections.deque()
    for thing in iterable:
        if len(deq) >= N:
            deq.popleft()
        deq.append(thing)
    return list(deq)

# A list of the variable IDs - this script doesn't create them so they have to exist already
variable_ids = [69497648, 1214336659, 1247906225]

lines = tail(open("/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.5/Logs/indigo_log.txt"), len(variable_ids))
for index, line in enumerate(lines):
    # if the line starts with the date/time string formatted like this: 2018-02-01 00:00:24.350
    if re.match(r'^[0-9]{4}\-[0-9]{2}\-[0-9]{2} [0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}.[0-9]{3}', line):
        # remove everything from the start of the line through the first tab, which removes the date
        line = "\t".join(line.split("\t")[1:])
    indigo.variable.updateValue(variable_ids[index], value=line)

This was someone else's very helpful script, that I'm pretty sure I copied verbatim.... years ago. Looks like there's def a problem with the "Indigo 7.5/Logs/" part. That's easy.

EDIT: "Easy" :/

Still getting
Script Error                    embedded script error:
   Script Error                    'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 1279: ordinal not in range(128)
   Script Error                    Exception Traceback (most recent call shown last):

embedded script, line 16, at top level
     embedded script, line 7, in tail
     File '/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.10/lib/python3.10/encodings/ascii.py', line 26, in decode
       return codecs.ascii_decode(input, self.errors)[0]
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 1279: ordinal not in range(128)

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:58 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Try adding encoding="utf-8" as an argument to the open() call:

lines = tail(open(encoding="utf-8", "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2022.1/Logs/indigo_log.txt"), len(variable_ids))

Posted on
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:13 am

When I copy that verbatim, on compile I get the error "positional argument follows keyword argument"

Posted on
Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:38 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Move the argument I added to be after the file path argument.

Posted on
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:16 am

Sorry about this. I confess I've forgotten 80% of the python I ever knew, and I only knew about 2% of python in the first place.

I'm probably putting the UTF bit in the wrong place:

https://imgur.com/tmfqVAh

But here's another related script that might be giving a hint about the original problem, as it highlights something else entirely:

https://imgur.com/NEUKBqw

(Also tried posting these as images, but got "not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.)

Posted on
Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:01 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Please copy/paste actual script text into your posts and surround them with code tags (see the Code button above the editor when editing a message). That way, we can correct the script without having to type it all in again. Yes, you have the encoding in the wrong function call - it's in the tail() call now, it should be in the open() call, right after the path to the file before the closing parenthesis.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:12 am

Sorry, thought the highlighting and error message would be helpful. Whoops!

import sys
import collections
import re

def tail(iterable, N):
    deq = collections.deque()
    for thing in iterable:
        if len(deq) >= N:
            deq.popleft()
        deq.append(thing)
    return list(deq)

# A list of the variable IDs - this script doesn't create them so they have to exist already
variable_ids = [69497648, 1214336659, 1247906225]

lines = tail(open("/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2022.1/Logs/indigo_log.txt", encoding="utf-8"), len(variable_ids))
for index, line in enumerate(lines):
    # if the line starts with the date/time string formatted like this: 2018-02-01 00:00:24.350
    if re.match(r'^[0-9]{4}\-[0-9]{2}\-[0-9]{2} [0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}.[0-9]{3}', line):
        # remove everything from the start of the line through the first tab, which removes the date
        line = "\t".join(line.split("\t")[1:])
    indigo.variable.updateValue(variable_ids[index], value=line)

This compiles but now returns
Script Error                    invalid syntax. Perhaps you forgot a comma?
   Script Error                    around line 16 - "lines = tail(open("/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2022.1/Logs/indigo_log.txt" encoding="utf-8"), len(variable_ids))"

Posted on
Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:19 am

hmmm, I think I fiddled until the error stopped. Think I had an extra space in there somewhere.

The other error was also the same problem, and is fixed now.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1