openssl upgrade (for TLS 1.2)

Posted on
Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:51 pm
alistair offline

openssl upgrade (for TLS 1.2)

I spent some time searching the forums - but didn't come up with much other than Perry The Cynic spending a bunch of time back on Python 2.5.

Has anyone worked out how to upgrade OpenSSL (w/ Indigo 7) such that it doesn't use the OS X crappy old 0.9 version of OpenSSL?

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:16 am
MarcoGT offline

Re: openssl upgrade (for TLS 1.2)

How did you try the upgrade?

You can also take the sources and compile them for your platform

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:37 pm
alistair offline

I tried using homebrew to update openssl and the underlying Python version. It works fine, but I then get some odd errors from Indigo which is, I suspect, due to Indigo using a mix of both the Apple and newer Python versions.

Anyone any ideas?

Code: Select all
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/plugin_base.py", line 26, in <module>
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/serial/__init__.py", line 13, in <module>
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/serial/serialutil.py", line 10, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python/2.7.13/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/io.py", line 51, in <module>
ImportError: dlopen(/usr/local/Cellar/python/2.7.13/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_io.so, 2): Symbol not found: __PyCodecInfo_GetIncrementalDecoder
  Referenced from: /usr/local/Cellar/python/2.7.13/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_io.so
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in /usr/local/Cellar/python/2.7.13/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_io.so

Posted on
Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:32 pm
alistair offline

I'm still trying to work this one out. Plugins running inside Indigo use the old version of openssl, which means I can't use TLS 1.2 required connections.

I suspect that IndigoPluginHost is ignoring the system path somewhere, and using the "inbuilt" python instead of the one in the path.

Anyone any ideas? Apple's 0.9.x version of openssl is terrible :(

Posted on
Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:24 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo 6 uses Python 2.6, Indigo 7 uses Python 2.7.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:26 pm
alistair offline

Hi Jay

I get that it uses Python 2.7, but it seems to forcibly use the (broken - old openssl) *system* Python 2.7, instead of the path default (which is also 2.7, but managed by homebrew, and has a non-ancient version of openssl).

Any thoughts on how an upgraded version of openssl can be made available to plugins?

Posted on
Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:28 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We use the Apple-supplied version of Python. If homebrew doesn't install in a location that's known by the built-in Python install, then it won't work. There is probably some way to install it so that it does use the built-in interpreter, but I don't know what it is.

We don't support using any other Python because debugging becomes a nightmare and because we use libraries that are compiled against the built-in installation.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:12 pm
Bollar offline

I have found this workaround will get python scripts within Indigo to use TLS 1.2. I do not know if it breaks anything else.

https://clburlison.com/python2-and-tls/

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Page 1 of 1