Indigo column resizing for 'State'

Posted on
Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:32 pm
CliveS offline

Indigo column resizing for 'State'

Matt/Jay
It seems that every column except the State column can be resized but State has a max of 24 characters. I am using the Adapters plugin and would like to be able to expand it so I can put longer text such as 'Utility Outside Door Closed', 'Conservatory Garden Door Closed', 'Yale Front Door is Unlocked'
Is it possible to change the max to 30 or fully expandable like the other columns?

CliveS

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:58 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo column resizing for 'State'

Our theory is that the "state" of a device should be as brief as possible such that just a simple glance will convey the overall state - so an icon and just a word or two. In your example, shouldn't "Open" and "Closed" be enough since the device name is already in a separate column? For instance, an A/V device (like an iTunes server) just shows Playing, Paused, etc, because those are easily seen at a glance. If you want more detail, that's what custom states are for (what is the name of the track playing, the current playlist, etc).

I wasn't particularly thrilled with "plugin disabled" as the state when a plugin was disabled, but frankly couldn't come up with anything shorter that conveyed it. But that's already an exceptionally long string and is mostly there just as an explanation of the error case.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1