Can't consistently connect to remote Indigo Server

Posted on
Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:39 pm
nclemmons offline

Can't consistently connect to remote Indigo Server

I am running Indigo latest version on a Mac Mini. I connect remotely with a MacBook Air, iPad and iPhone - meaning on the same WiFi network.

Indigo on the Mini is running, it shows it's talking to the PowerLinc 2413U. I can control devices from the Mini.

I cannot connect via browser, via mobile, via another Indigo client on my MacBook. I try and the MacBook Air does not proceed to find and connect.

I'm running server on the Mini, have defaults and an IP address set. I can ping the Mini remotely, or access via screen sharing.

But Indigo won't connect.

If I disconnect on the server and quit Indigo and then restart, I can start server, run them separately and it starts up again.

It shows all is connected. And I can connect from a remote device or web browser.

Unfortunately, with a power failure I have to go through this when it used to just restart, load and I was in control remotely.

Any thoughts on why this behavior is happening? It used to work great. Now it's a bit flaky.

neil

Posted on
Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Can't consistently connect to remote Indigo Server

nclemmons wrote:
If I disconnect on the server and quit Indigo and then restart, I can start server, run them separately and it starts up again.

It shows all is connected. And I can connect from a remote device or web browser.

I don't understand what you mean here - can you tell us the explicit steps you take so that it works? And what happens to make it not work later?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:01 am
Sharek326 offline

To me this sounds more like You Network is messing with you.

Is the Network DHCP?

The Mac mini running Indigo - Did you reserve an IP so that this computer gets the Same IP every reboot?

Is this Server also running OS X Server and if so is the DNS setup correctly?

Posted on
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:05 am
howartp offline

Have you got both wired and wireless connections turned on on your Mini?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:14 pm
nclemmons offline

Mini is wirelessly connected with a fixed static IP on the Mini and connected to a router running DHCP enabled with most of my 60 plus devices Connecting to a reserved IP on the router. No OSX Server, just running latest shipping OS for Mac.

My router and wireless network is Eero.

If it was a network issue I would think I would not be able to ping or remotely access the Mac Mini. Those are consistently working

Here's the typical scenario...

If I have a power,failure, the Mini is set to restart and the logged in account auto loads Indigo. So Indigo loads fine. But frequently, the server does not allow remote access. I have to manually quit Indigo and then restart Indigo to get it to start the server with remote access. I am not running Indigo and the server as 'one app' but separate with the radio button option for running the server. It will locally connect and control the lights. But remote access does not always work. So I quit and restart and then it works.

Once working, it works fine till the next power failure when I usually have to go through the same process.

I've also seen instances where the server connection dialog small window is still open but Indigo is able to control the lights locally..

Appreciate the questions and hope my scenario is clear.

Neil

Posted on
Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:06 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So, when the mini reboots but remote access isn't working, what errors are you seeing in the Event Log (if any)?

Can you hit the Indigo Touch web page from another device on the local network when it's in this condition (http://localip:8176/)? Also, when it's in this condition can you hit that URL locally (http://localhost:8176/)?

Also, do you have any firewalls enabled (either the built-in firewall or a 3rd party one)? If so, temporarily disable them.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1