[SOLVED]Command queue backpressure - but why?

Posted on
Wed May 31, 2017 5:53 pm
smurfless1 offline

[SOLVED]Command queue backpressure - but why?

Every afternoon recently the little animated purple "command in the queue" and "reply received" bar gets flooded with outbound, unanswered requests, but the log doesn't show what they are. Is there a way to see what's causing those? Eventually the queue gets full enough that things in the house get unresponsive due to not being able to get triggers and responses through. What's odd is that it doesn't seem to happen in the morning/daytimes - just afternoon/night. Weird!

I made sure the only plugins running are configured and as far as I can tell behaving, everything is updated, etc. Any thoughts? Indigo 7.0.3, macOS 10.12.5, PowerLinc 2413U.

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:01 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Command queue backpressure - but why?

That's indicating that the PowerLinc believes the power line is busy and it can't send out any additional Insteon commands until it clears up. Normally this is because you have some signal noise on the power line that the PowerLinc thinks is traffic. It may be happening in the afternoon because something (HVAC perhaps?) is running then that's generating noise that isn't running at other times of the day. That's where I'd start my investigation - what is turned on/running during that period of time that isn't usually at other times. It could be a combination of things as well.

You say you never get any error messages in the Event Log during this time? Nothing at all?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:28 am
smurfless1 offline

I figured something out: the DSC plugin was getting significant traffic from our lone DSC motion sensor zone - because the kids are moving around in the kitchen. Eventually this somehow backed up ... something and it would then block a lot of other somethings. I don't use that device much, so I just removed it from the device list and just like that - problem solved.

This plugin has its own internal debug level in its configuration, and setting that higher still didn't show me why it was trying to send anything over the Insteon network. This is sufficient for me though.

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:47 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

That's very odd. But glad you're back up and running.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:49 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED]Command queue backpressure - but why?

How is the plugin communicating with the DSC? Via a USB adaptor? If so, that might explain it - if the USB bus is too busy then Indigo won't be able to talk to the PowerLinc and would just continue to queue up the messages. This would also explain why there were no messages in the Event Log.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:20 pm
smurfless1 offline

It reads over the network, iirc it's open source but I write c++, not obj-c (yet). I'll see if I can poke around with it, but:

The thing I'd like is an additional level of logging that describes the green/purple in/out message queue. That might be asking too much, but I figure it's worth a shot.

db

Posted on
Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:53 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

smurfless1 wrote:
The thing I'd like is an additional level of logging that describes the green/purple in/out message queue. That might be asking too much, but I figure it's worth a shot.

You can see it by enabling LILO debugging in the Insteon config dialog and by enabling debugging in the Z-Wave interface config dialog. Those are the two things that write to the comm progress bar. It's unlikely that the debug information will help you much however.

smurfless1 wrote:
It reads over the network, iirc it's open source

It? What is "it"? I wonder if it's causing some other kind of problem...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1