Unknown/Hidden X10 Device in Log

Posted on
Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:09 pm
makedrinklas offline

Unknown/Hidden X10 Device in Log

Hi, I have a device being listed in my logs that does not exist under devices. I have not installed any new devices and I'm getting a "K13" on and off received message". :?: :?: I just checked another log from the 14th and it shows the screen cap below. None of those devices exist in Indigo.

I have a W800RF32 USB receiver that has worked fine for a long time before this. No serial devices or USBs are in the network setup.

I suppose someone nearby could be using X10 but it would seem unlikely. That said, X10 stuff has still been going off at weird intervals. Alarms, water sensors, you name it. For a while WS13A's were primarily having the problems of not responding. I have also upgraded to Indigo v7.0.3. I mentioned in another post that I also upgraded to some Ubiquiti Unifi network equipment, but it is now on a different circuit and behind a filter. Could the access points be coincidentally sending the right sections of X10 code over the same frequency? Seems like it would be quite a coincidence.

How can I even trouble shoot this?
Attachments
Devices.png
Other devices available but not in the current network setup, only ethernet.
Devices.png (39.87 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 2.01.32 PM.png
No devices beginning with house code K!
Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 2.01.32 PM.png (62.91 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 1.59.10 PM.png
No L15 nor L16
Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 1.59.10 PM.png (36.01 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 1.58.17 PM.png
Here is what I do have set up.
Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 1.58.17 PM.png (38.38 KiB) Viewed 1880 times

Posted on
Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:32 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: Unknown/Hidden X10 Device in Log

I started seeing these too, when I migrated to a new computer that's a hackintosh.

Asking here people suggested I was receiving some other home's X10 broadcasts, but given that I'm 200 yards away from every other house, I have trouble imagining that. However I also have trouble imagining that in-house noise could so consistently be showing up as the very same X10 commands, over and over.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:03 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

This is not uncommon behavior for failing Insteon devices. I've had multiple situations over the years where an Insteon device began to fail and it would randomly spew garbage, some of which looked like valid X10 commands to the PowerLinc so it would report the X10 traffic. It could in fact be something else that's spewing X10 like noise, in fact.

Disable the W800RF32 and see if you continue to see the issue. If so then it's likely some signal noise. If it stops, then the W800RF32 is probably seeing some RF that it thinks is X10 RF and is reporting that.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:32 am

In my case, this would the PowerLinc itself, as I don't have any other Insteon devices, just X10 ones.

Could that still be the case?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:43 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Could be: failing PowerLinc, failing X10 module, bad USB cable, or RF or power line interference from some other electronics or appliances. Unfortunately, the only way to narrow down the problem is to start eliminating each possibility.

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:48 pm

Well, I moved a bunch of cables away from the PowerLinc USB, but it doesn't make any difference.

This is what happens when I try to turn off an X10 device:

Code: Select all
   Error                           resending previous command (busy or unexpected command)
   Error                           resending previous command (busy or unexpected command)
   Error                           SendX10Message function failed
   ???                             "Office Lamp" off

I still need to rearrange things on the desk so I can manage without a USB extension cable.

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:19 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

My guess in a failing PowerLinc, but it could be noise caused by something else.

Page 1 of 1