Is there a thread for feedback on minor UI suggestions

Posted on
Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:48 am
spiv offline

Is there a thread for feedback on minor UI suggestions

I know Indigo is working on a major release. At various times while using Indigo, I've noticed a few minor UI inconsistencies or user experience anomalies. Wondering if I should post them on a suggestions or enhancement request thread somewhere, just send them to support, or just move on.

I know that with all the cool stuff everyone is always expecting for the next version, cosmetic or consistency changes to the UI are usually not high on the list, especially when they do not impact actual functionality working, but I'm not sure I have ever asked Indigo about this.

In effect, crowd-sourced "QA" can be helpful, but I don't want to take the time to document the little things unless there is a chance it will help.

(I just got a lot of my iOS 10.0 beta radars submitted to Apple kicked back 'closed as duplicate" -- some of the linked bug reports are open and some are closed, but since Apple doesn't let you view anyone else's bugs, can't really determine much and it is frustrating as I don't know whether my submission increases the "squeaky wheel score" of the bug or is ignored.)

Posted on
Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:03 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Is there a thread for feedback on minor UI suggestions

Feel free to post them here. But you're right - low-priority bugs that don't materially effect operation aren't going to get much love. But it's also likely that we don't know about them (since most people won't report those types of things) so if we happen to be in the code around the bug we might just fix it... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:03 pm
spiv offline

UI suggestion: updating Sprinkler zone names

I'm using the Open Sprinkler plug-in

When I create a schedule, it populates the list of all the sprinkler zones with the names of the zones, but it doesn't update the list.

I think the zone names are created when I first add the sprinkler device. If I later use the native Open Sprinkler interface to rename the zones, the new names are not reflected in Indigo.

If I create a duplicate sprinkler device by adding the same device with a different device name, and then create a schedule specifying that new device as the target, the list of zones shows the new names.

I don't know if this is sprinkler specific or the general Indigo plug-in architecture, but it would be helpful if in either the device configuration or the schedule configuration there was a button to "Update/refresh zone names" or if this is generic "synchronize external device configuration" or something like that?

Posted on
Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:09 pm
spiv offline

UI suggestion: add variables to left-side object tree

In the main Indigo window, on the left side is a tree control for Devices, Triggers, Schedules, Action Groups, and Control Pages -- the major objects in Indigo.

Variables, however, are handled differently with the main menu "window > variables list" command.

I think it would be more consistent and easier if you added "Variables" as a category down the left-side menu to manipulate them (new, edit, duplicate, delete.) just like all the other Indigo objects.

You could leave the "window > variables list" command in as a deprecated feature for a release or two to get people used to it if that makes the transition easier.
Last edited by spiv on Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:15 pm
spiv offline

UI Suggestion: Add add cancel/OK, buttons device editing

Editing devices is slightly different than editing triggers, schedules, or action groups.

When editing triggers/schedules/action groups, double-click on an existing item, and the bottom of the pop-up window has a "Cancel" and an "OK" button and the upper left close-box has a "Green" dot with the other two dots greyed out.

When editing a device, double-click on an existing item, and the bottom of the pop-up window does not have the "Cancel" or "OK" button and the upper left close box has a "RED" close box, with the other two dots greyed out.

Posted on
Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:18 am
howartp offline

spiv wrote:
Variables, however, are handled differently with the main menu "window > variables list" command.

I think it would be more consistent and easier if you added "Variables" as a category down the left-side menu to manipulate them (new, edit, duplicate, delete.) just like all the other Indigo objects.

Hear, hear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:42 am
howartp offline

spiv wrote:
I'm using the Open Sprinkler plug-in

I can't see that plugin anywhere (and haven't come across it), but you'd be best raising a thread in the relevant subforum for it to get the attention of the author.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1