macOS 10.12 Sierra - Indigo Server won't start

Posted on
Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:01 pm
joelande offline

macOS 10.12 Sierra - Indigo Server won't start

I installed the macOS Sierra beta on the iMac that also happens to be my Indigo server.

I know its not supported, but I need to install the beta, and I couldn't do it on my other Mac, which has even more sensitive apps and data on it.

It appears that the Indigo Server component will not start up.

I tried reinstalling Indigo, but that didn't help either.

I didn't see anything obvious in Console logs, and the Indigo Log file hasn't been updated since the update.

macOS Server — INSTEON devices — SONOS audio — Indigo Touch — Watch
TiVo — Harmony Ultimate Remote
>0< [-0-]

Posted on
Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:48 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: macOS 10.12 Sierra - Indigo Server won't start

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:58 pm
Jimmy2times offline

SOLVED WORK AROUND:

To get indigo to run (Connect to server).. In Mac OS Sierra.

My work around..

Do Not Open Indigo 6 App.

Instead.

Go to Application folder locate Indigo.app.
Right click to show Package contents.
Navigate to: Indigo.app/Contents/MacOS/Indigo6
Double click to launch the terminal icon.

Indigo will launch and connect to server.

If you close the terminal window. This will force indigo to quit.

However so indigo 6 now runs and the the essential indigo server portion of the software also will run when you use this method.

Anyway hope this helps, and will post this to the forum.

Footnote (Quitting the terminal window and or indigo will not allow a restart of indigo server with out logging in and out) There is a process you have to quit, which I have yet to identify to restart the server with out restarting the Mac, Also you must NOT launch Indigo before launching the terminal command inside indigo.app Package Contents to make this work, if you do repeat process after a restart).

Cheers,

Jimmy

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:01 pm
Jimmy2times offline

Confirmed ABOVE work around works on Mac OS Sierra (Beta 1/2/3)

Posted on
Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:52 pm
srkinard offline

Just curious if Indigo 7 will support Sierra...Matt? Jay? If so I'll probably upgrade both at the same time when Indigo 7 is released.

To be honest, I've had zero trouble with Indigo 6 on my El Capitan mini...none of the issues talked about in other threads.

Posted on
Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:42 am
durosity offline

Have a look at the official announcement: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16795

(On a side note my own experiences with Sierra suggest this is going to be a particularly bumpy release. Apple's QA seems to be spread pretty thin right now... and the Mac side of things seems to have the least amount of concentration)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:36 am
srkinard offline

I saw the announcement, and it was referring more to not upgrading your existing Indigo 6 version to Sierra. I was asking if they planned Sierra support for Indigo 7, which is where their current focal point is.

My own experiences with Sierra have been 85+% normal on my laptop which has run Sierra since Beta 1. A few helper apps had to be updated to be fully compatible, and once those were done I've used it just like I did El Capitan. Regular use apps: Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Mail, Outlook 2016 for Mac, Skype, Messages, Apple Remote Desktop, Twitter (poorly done app - needs work,) Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Eagle 7 PCB layout, Indigo 6 app, TextMate, iTerm2, Clipboard History, TextExpander, TeamViewer, 1Password, Alfred 3, Bartender 2, Beamer, Clean Text, CrashPlan, DaisyDisk, Gemini 2, Deliveries, Dropbox, FileBot, f.lux, Photos, iStat Menus, Kindle, LittleSnitch, OneDrive, Plex Media Player (PlexPass preview), Sophos AV, Singer Song Reader, Snagit and VLC.

My most powerful machine, the 2010 Mac Pro, waited to get updated until the Sierra GM seed came out. Upgraded to that and the Server 5.4 beta 4 install and it's providing all services it had been without issue now too: Time Machine server, File services to Mac & PC clients, NetInstall, Email server, Wiki server, Caching server, SecuritySpy, Plex Media Server, Sonarr, Transmission, SABnzbd+ and it houses the Areca RAID HBA that has about 50TB of storage attached.

All the features (shared clipboard, iCloud Desktop/Documents, etc.) for Sierra and iOS 10 work fine for me. At work, I will begin testing the Sierra deployment processes to be sure the Active Directory bindings work and other tweaks we use for employee systems are still intact.

The only piece of software in my house right now that has any "not ready for Sierra" warning/issues is Indigo 6. So I'm perfectly content to leave that machine alone until 7 comes out, and if they are Sierra compatible then...I'll upgrade both. Hence my query to Matt & Jay. If they say Indigo 7 is not Sierra compatible, then the OS will wait until then.

If they want/need beta testing, I'm down for that also. I've done it for many years with OS X and submitted many bug reports to both Apple and 3rd party developers to help out.

Posted on
Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:29 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It's really not a matter of being "Sierra ready", and frankly anyone who claims that is being a bit dishonest. The problem are the bugs that nobody has yet found. We know of a couple of bugs (including the server launch issue) that we'll have a look at, and will fix for Indigo 6/7. Fixing/working around known bugs is something we will certainly do for both releases.

Our warning relates to bugs that nobody has found at the time of Sierra release. There are a bunch of examples of this if you look back over the past several OS releases (Python signing in El Capitan, USB issues in both Yosemite and El Capitan, authentication bugs in iOS on pretty much every beta and multiple releases, etc.) We encourage anyone running something mission critical from upgrading until someone else has stumbled across those issues and we've either had a chance to work around them or until we issue a warning that there is no workaround until Apple fixes it. Mission critical for home software will of course be different for different people. But if you rely on Indigo working reliably for you, you'll wait until you've gotten the preponderance of evidence that makes you most comfortable upgrading.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:33 am
srkinard offline

I'll make the dive early if you guys need me to...there's nothing in my home that will be "oh crap!" levels of broken since it's just me there mainly...roommate doesn't have access to it so he just uses the switches like normal.

I don't mind being a guinea pig...and if it was too far broken I can roll back to my Time Machine backup.

Posted on
Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:33 pm
goodgrapes offline

I'm running Indigo 6.1.10 & Sierra 10.12 and everything appears to be working fine. Indigo is in my Login Items and starts-up just fine...

Posted on
Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:06 pm
roussell offline

Same here, I haven't seen any of the reported Sierra problems in my test install. Mine is a new install and not an upgrade from a previous OS version. Not sure if that makes a difference, but probably worth noting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:24 am
davinci offline

Running on macOS Sierra 10.12 (16A323) - no issues. (Upgrade and vanilla tested)

Posted on
Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:02 pm
Ramias offline

I upgraded probably a week or so ago and am fine. No issues I have noticed.

Several ZWave devices and plugins on a 2011 MacMini.

Posted on
Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:36 pm
wjlevin offline

Hi All:

Are we to await an official word from indigo that we are clear to upgrade to Sierra? I'm holding off for such a word.

Please let us know.

Many thanks, and good luck with 7!

Wayne

Posted on
Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:39 pm
joelande offline

Just to chime in, sierra is working fine for my server.

macOS Server — INSTEON devices — SONOS audio — Indigo Touch — Watch
TiVo — Harmony Ultimate Remote
>0< [-0-]