Support for MacOS High Sierra (64-bit)

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:42 am
dprlemon offline

Support for MacOS High Sierra (64-bit)

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere if Indigo7 will be 64-bit and compatible with MacOS High Sierra. I 'm currently using v6 and will need to upgrade if v7 is 64-bit. If not, I'll need to start researching new software. Thanks

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:22 am
racarter offline

Re: Support for MacOS High Sierra (64-bit)

I'm running High Sierra beta on a MacBook Pro and the Indigo 7 client is fine.

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:11 am
jalves offline

I'm also running the client on the public beta of High Sierra without problems. However, no way am I going to upgrade my server machine to High Sierra until its out of beta AND Jay or Matt have said that Indigo server runs correctly on it.

Running Indigo 7.0.3 and HBB 0.20 on a headless Mac Mini (late 2012), OS X 10.12.4.
Jeff

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:34 am
durosity offline

Yeah I’d wait on the developers stance on it. I’d expect it to be announced and released on Tuesday, so I predict a post from them effectively saying “we’ve tested it, it seems to be ok, but you might want to hold off for others to feed back on.”

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:41 am
dprlemon offline

Thank you all for your responses. Yep, I think I'll wait for an official response from Jay or Matt. Quick question about High Sierra beta..Does it not have the About Mac option to pull a system report? That would show if apps are 64-bit.. Thanks again!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 12.40.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 12.40.14 PM.png (50.93 KiB) Viewed 255 times

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Relax, 32-bit apps will still work on High Sierra - it's releases after that which may require 64-bit. Never fear - we plan to continue to support the latest macOS releases as they arrive. Apps delivered through the App store have some more firm deadlines, but that's not relevant for Indigo.

Of course, we always recommend waiting for several bug fix releases before upgrading - common sense for a Mac that's running mission-critical server software like Indigo. We're still testing with High Sierra and we'll keep everyone posted.

The Mac Client and the Indigo Plugin Host processes are already 64-bit. The server isn't, primarily for a single reason: AppleScript. We use the Carbon API library for AppleScript, and it will not be updated by Apple to support 64-bit only OS releases. It would take a massive effort to move to the server to the Cocoa AppleScript framework - effort which we will be spending on further Python plugin and scripting capabilities. We've been quite open for many years (since Indigo 5 was released on Nov 15, 2011 in fact) that AppleScript is legacy Indigo technology and will go away eventually.

So here's your first official AppleScript deprecation warning: Indigo will no longer support AppleScript beyond the upcoming Indigo 7.1 release. We highly recommend that you read the blog post on AppleScript deprecation as it has some really good information in it about converting from AppleScript to Python.

So as not to make this the catch-all for AppleScript deprecation posts, we've created an announcement post where we'd direct everyone. If you post anything AppleScript deprecation related on this thread it will be deleted - so click here before posting on that topic!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:41 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

jay (support) wrote:
Of course, we always recommend waiting for several bug fix releases before upgrading - common sense for a Mac that's running mission-critical server software like Indigo. We're still testing with High Sierra and we'll keep everyone posted.

And just a friendly reminder that we do not support beta releases of macOS or iOS, so definitely don't upgrade to those on Indigo essential hardware unless you are just experimenting and have an easy way to roll back.

Page 1 of 1