Extending a Z-wave network

Posted on
Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:07 am
Al_M offline

Extending a Z-wave network

I'm wondering if using a Vera controller and the Vera Bridge plug-in is an acceptable way to extend a Z-wave network to a location where I can't physically get reliable Z-wave signals.

Here's my situation:

I recently built a guest house connected to my house for mom and dad to live in. (Awesome for baby-sitting at a moments notice!) The nearest Z-wave device is approximately 30 ft from my Mac mini/Z-Stick 2/Indigo setup. The furthest, about 85 ft. Several walls in between hinder communications between Z-wave nodes.

I have no issues with hard wired (AC powered) devices, but some battery powered flood sensors (Utili-Tech/Everspring ST812) are proving a real pain to sync to Indigo. So, I can keep adding more and more AC powered Z-wave devices in hopes of improving the mesh network or go with a Vera-Lite and the Vera Bridge plug-in.

If it works the way I think it will, I can plug the Vera controller in to ethernet (I have Cat6 between buildings) and have Indigo monitor and control those devices via the Vera Bridge.

Feel free to shoot holes in my thinking. Comments or suggestions please.

Posted on
Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:43 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Extending a Z-wave network

If the bridge supports the all devices you want to use, then yeah that would work. It supports locks, thermostats, on/off and dimmer devices.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:35 am
Al_M offline

Thanks. Extending via a Vera is really a last resort. I would like to avoid this as much as possible as I believe the interface would be "clunky".

I have been experimenting and have had some partial success with one of the flood sensors. What I had to do was progressively move the sensor further and further away from the Indigo server (and Z-stick controller) while re-syncing each time. Each time the neighbor nodes were also re-synced allowing the routes to/from the sensor be optimized. This worked well until the sensor was placed in it's final location. At this point I tried to re-sync it one more time and it failed. On a positive note, it is still able to communicate status changes to the controller. I verified this by wetting the contacts (simulating a flood) and noted the update in Indigo. My defined trigger also worked by closing the water shutoff valve. Just feeling a bit uneasy since it can't re-sync. Makes me think it might be on the verge of not being able to communicate when it's most critical (like an actual flood condition).

The only thing i can do is to further expand the network by adding AC powered nodes to strengthen the routing capabilities. If anyone has some suggestions or experience with such a situation, your help would be appreciated.

For clarity, I have attached a drawing depicting my network layout shown on a floor plan.
Attachments
Guest House 031513_Page_1.jpg
Guest House 031513_Page_1.jpg (239.84 KiB) Viewed 7619 times

Posted on
Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:57 am
DaveL17 offline

It appears that the two homes are connected -- you might try an Aeon Z-Wave repeater (only about $30-$35 US). If possible, I'd place it equidistant between the device and the controller.

Can be plugged into any standard outlet.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:08 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'll second what Dave said. We've heard good reports that the Aeotec Repeater/Extender helps to increase coverage / network distance.

Posted on
Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:21 pm
Al_M offline

Yes the houses are connected via an enclosed "breezeway".

I did see those repeaters but thought I could use the added functionality of z-wave switches/dimmers instead.

Are you guys saying these repeaters actually amplify the signal? If so, that may be just the ticket...

Posted on
Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:31 pm
DaveL17 offline

They don't amplify it necessarily, but they do extend it if properly placed. Think of a circle around wherever you place it.

Posted on
Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:02 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I'll third that suggestion - I was in pretty much the same situation with a device that was about 50-60' away, but was through a fully sheathed and cement board wall, room, sheathed and (solid) brick wall plus about 35' of open space. It would sometimes communicate and not sync. I put the Aeotec Extender on the edge of the open space and had no problems with it bridging the mass of the walls/room.

Adam

Posted on
Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:24 am
Al_M offline

Thanks guys. I have one on order and will install this weekend.

Posted on
Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:22 pm
Al_M offline

Well after a bit of experimentation, I am still having some issues. I placed the Aeon Labs Repeater approximately midway between the Z-stick and furthest water sensor. I was able to sync the water sensors, but now I lost the ability to re-sync the water shut-off valve (Fortrezz MIMOLite relay module). So solved one issue and sparked another.

I have moved the repeater several times and re-synce'd all neighbors each time and still cannot re-sync the shut-off valve. I can get status requests and open/close the valve, etc. It just won't re-sync. What's curious is that the shut-off valve is closer to the Z-stick than the original water sensor I was having problems with. Frustrating.

I guess I will probably need to exclude it and then include it before re-syncing again. Anyone have this type of issue before?

Posted on
Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:11 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The general approach is to resync devices starting from the ones that are closest to the Z-Stick and work your way out towards the problematic device.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:32 am
Al_M offline

Jay,

Yes. That's what I've been doing, so many times now that I've lost count. I guess I just have to keep playing with moving the Aoetec repeater until I find the ideal spot. Or possibly add another one. Right now I have enough AC powered devices/repeaters so that there is no more than approximately 20 feet between nodes.

Posted on
Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:16 am
DaveL17 offline

Hmmm. 20 feet should be no problem whatsoever. Is your guest house a Faraday cage by any chance?

Posted on
Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:42 am
Al_M offline

Nope. Standard 2x4 lumber interior walls with 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch sheetrock. Exterior walls are 2x6 with 7/16 OSB sheathing, Tyvek wrap and fiber-cement siding. Although I can't see the signal having to traverse more than 1 exterior wall at most. None of the insulation has any foil backing. It's either blown in or paper lined.
Now that I think about it though, there is a 8' x 9' steel garage door on one exterior wall that might be causing some signal degradation. Maybe I'll try some plug in modules to hop around it. It's oriented mostly parallel to the signal path. Hmm. something to think about anyway.

Posted on
Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:11 pm
johnpolasek offline

Quick question: If I already have the Z-stick working with a thermostat and several dimmer devices and I were to purchase a Vera "lite" for the sole purpose of talking to a z-wave lock or two, would I have to move everything to the Vera or could the two sets of devices simply ignore each other (as I assume my existing system will ignore anything my next door neighbor might install)? Or should I wait till KEVO gets their act together and gets the plus out the door?