[SOLVED]Indigo keeps loosing Vera Scenes

Posted on
Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:56 pm
jltnol offline

[SOLVED]Indigo keeps loosing Vera Scenes

So I've decided to restart the computer that handles Indigo for me weekly. Just a chance to clear out any bad code the computer may be running and give everything a fresh start.

Everything seems to be fine, but the Vera Scenes disappear. I've tried both reloading the Vera Plugin, as well as disabling and reenabling it, but it still very quirky.

I only have 1 door lock on Vera, and when I log into the Vera bridge itself, the scenes are still there, and the scenes operate from the Vera Bridge thru the web interface.

Likewise, in Indigo, the device shows up correctly, I can tun the device both on (locked) and off (unlocked) from the devices page.. but all the automation stops functioning because Indigo now sees only one of the two scenes I have set up. Sometimes it sees no scenes.. This is only a problem when the Indigo server is re-started....

Any suggestions?

Posted on
Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:08 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo keeps loosing Vera Scenes

Are you using the Vera Bridge plugin or the Mi Casa Verde Vera plugin? The former is from us, the latter is an abandoned open source plugin.

If the former, when you say "disappear", what exactly do you mean? Note that scenes aren't devices in the Vera Bridge plugin so I'm unclear what exactly is and isn't working. Also, locks are actual devices, not scenes, so they should continue to work (i.e. "all the automation stops functioning")...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:43 pm
jltnol offline

Hey Jay

Sorry my post was so poorly written.. :(

So, just so we're on the same page... I have 1 lock that is connected to a Vera Bridge, and controlled by Indigo.

In the Vera Bridge web interface, I am able to create automated scenes.... one to lock, and one to unlock.

In Indigo. I enable the Vera Bridge plugin and configure with the IP address and port of the bridge, create a device and call it Front Door Lock. In the Devices page of Indigo, I can turn this device On, which locks the door, and Off, which unlocks the door.

Some Actions I have set up are Run Scene( Vera Bridge Actions), and I see the scenes that I've set up on the bridge to use in Indigo... Locking and unlocking works in Action Groups and Triggers as expected.

Then, Indigo does it's weekly re-start, and I have problems. This weekend, one of the "Vera Scenes" disappeared in Indigo.. so instead of having 2 scenes to use as Actions, I only had one. This week, the "Lock" scene disappeared, so all of the Actions that involved locking the front door didn't work. Keep in mind that Indigo still sees the lock as a device, and I can both lock and unlock the door from the Devices page.

Back on the Vera web interface, my 2 original scenes are still there, and both still work, but nothing I do gets Indigo to see the two scenes. The only solution I've found so far is to delete the both scenes in the Vera Bridge, and re-create them.. and, of course, go back thru all the Actions and re-set the lock/ unlock actions...

Man this is complicated.> :( I'm still not sure I've done a good job explaining my problem...

Bottom line is Indigo sees the scenes I've set up on the Vera Bridge web interface.

Then Indigo re-starts, and then doesn't see one or both of those scenes...

Posted on
Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:13 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jltnol wrote:
So, just so we're on the same page... I have 1 lock that is connected to a Vera Bridge, and controlled by Indigo.

Is this a Vera Lite or a regular Vera? Note that "Vera Bridge" refers to the plugin - the device itself is either a Vera Lite or a Vera. Also, what UI (firmware) version is it running?

jltnol wrote:
In Indigo. I enable the Vera Bridge plugin and configure with the IP address and port of the bridge, create a device and call it Front Door Lock. In the Devices page of Indigo, I can turn this device On, which locks the door, and Off, which unlocks the door.

Following you so far...

jltnol wrote:
Some Actions I have set up are Run Scene( Vera Bridge Actions), and I see the scenes that I've set up on the bridge to use in Indigo... Locking and unlocking works in Action Groups and Triggers as expected.

You do know that you don't need to run Vera scenes, right? You can just directly control the lock in a device action. Just an observation - I suspect that doing the lock/unlock via a Vera scene rather than just directly controlling the lock is even slower (all Vera lock interaction seems quite slow).

jltnol wrote:
Then, Indigo does it's weekly re-start, and I have problems.

And now I have my first warning sign. Why are you restarting Indigo weekly? It should be totally unnecessary to do this and it makes me wonder if you have some other issues that need addressing as well. Read on though for my take on what's happening.

jltnol wrote:
This weekend, one of the "Vera Scenes" disappeared in Indigo.. so instead of having 2 scenes to use as Actions, I only had one. This week, the "Lock" scene disappeared, so all of the Actions that involved locking the front door didn't work. Keep in mind that Indigo still sees the lock as a device, and I can both lock and unlock the door from the Devices page.

Back on the Vera web interface, my 2 original scenes are still there, and both still work, but nothing I do gets Indigo to see the two scenes. The only solution I've found so far is to delete the both scenes in the Vera Bridge, and re-create them.. and, of course, go back thru all the Actions and re-set the lock/ unlock actions...

A couple of points here:

1. Indigo builds the scene list from what the Vera reports when we ask it for the list (via it's API when the plugin starts up). If a scene that was there stops showing up in the list, it's because the Vera is no longer reporting it. This could be a Vera firmware version bug or some other Vera issue - we're just showing what the Vera tells us to show.
  2. Since the only way to get the scenes to show up is recreating them in the Vera, that further leads me to believe that the Vera is somehow getting confused and for some reason stops reporting them via the API call we use.
  3. As I pointed out above, if the only thing you're trying to do is lock/unlock, you don't even need to use Vera scenes - just control the lock device created in Indigo directly in Indigo.

jltnol wrote:
Then Indigo re-starts, and then doesn't see one or both of those scenes...

So, I believe the plugin only queries the full list of scenes when it starts up and only adds/deletes scenes as the Vera reports scenes added or deleted while its running. This would seem to fit the scenario - Indigo continues to use the cached scene list until it restarts and asks for the full list of scenes. At that point, the Vera doesn't report them all so any Run Scene actions fail.

Does that seem to summarize the issue? Let me know what firmware version the Vera is running - you might also want to go ahead and update the Vera's firmware if it's not running the latest version and see if that solves the problem.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:37 pm
jltnol offline

Hey Jay

Understood EVERYTHING you said... My bad nomenclature didn't help.

1. Vera Lite... is what I'm using.

2. Restarting Indigo as the computer does other things as well.... not really having any specific problems with the Indigo Server or Software, just seems like a good thing do to to clear out other programs running on the same computer.

3. NOW I see how to forget the "scenes" and just turn the Lock On and Off directly. (see the bright light over my head now ? ? ) 8) This will make things MUCH easier and more secure.

4. I'll check on the firmware on the Vera Lite just to keep it up to date and let you know, but clearly you've pointed me into a much better, easier solution.

THANKS.

Jeffrey

Page 1 of 1