Reflector Down?

Posted on
Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:17 pm
Dino-Two offline

Reflector Down?

The Reflector is currently reporting that it is down.
I haven't had contact with the computer since 9:40 MST this morning (hourly auto email).
Can't connect on port 5900, either.
The router doesn't show that the computer is connected, but it sometimes does that when actually connected.

Carroll

Posted on
Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:32 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Reflector Down?

Hi Carroll,

Everything looks good here on the server side: the connected reflector count has been steady all day (same with bandwidth usage), and manually checking a few reflectors shows them up and working.

If you also missed emails you normally get, then it sounds like the Mac (and/or Indigo) may have gone down or frozen. Unfortunately, you'll need to get access to the Mac (either directly or via VNC, etc.) to troubleshoot what occurred. Please let us know what you find.

Posted on
Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:38 pm
Dino-Two offline

I guess the computer is frozen. I don't have reflector or VNC access to it.
The router refreshes the IP address to each device twice a day, and the router log shows the last two refreshes have been to the webcam only.
We'll drive up later this week to get it going again. I'd appreciate assistance in diagnosing the problem. Besides the Indigo log, which logs should I retrieve?

Carroll

Posted on
Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:38 pm
IslandLife offline

I've been getting this message constantly:

3/6/13 1:12:52.217 PM IndigoServer[1630]: Error failed to create reflector connection: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Preferences/PrismReflector/id_rsa.pub'

I've rebuild/reset permissions before. I think that during the upgrade to Indigo 6, I noticed that ownership was set to another Admin User on the same computer for no apparent reason.

Paul

Posted on
Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:46 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Paul,

Follow the instructions here. If it doesn't help then be sure and copy the text from the output window and email or post it so we can see what is occurring. And make sure you run the fixer app from the admin account under which IndigoServer is running.

Posted on
Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:49 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Dino-Two wrote:
I'd appreciate assistance in diagnosing the problem. Besides the Indigo log, which logs should I retrieve?

If Indigo crashed, then get the most recent crash reporter logs which should be here:

~(your user folder)/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

If the Mac froze, then you'll want to launch the Console application and look at the system logs to see if they reveal any clues (they may not).

Posted on
Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:18 pm
Dino-Two offline

Hi Matt,

A belated update....

We went up to check on the computer a few days after my post, after the storm had passed through. The computer, Indigo, & other apps were running fine, but the wi-fi connection had been dropped. I immediately used Indigo to turn on our roof heaters to melt the snow. The Indigo log showed that programmed events were being sent properly. The hourly emails were accumulating in Mail's outbox. I couldn't reconnect to the internet from the menu bar, so I restarted the computer and all was fine. We went into town, bought a long cable, & plugged the computer directly into the router.

During the snow season (generally through April) I log in daily to the web cam, router, screen sharing, and reflector. After about a week I lost screen sharing, so some new problem here, but the reflector continues to work.

Regards,

Carroll

Posted on
Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:23 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Carroll,

Thanks for the update. It isn't cool that WiFi went down such that the Mac couldn't recover (without a reboot), but your solution of using a physical cable is a good idea. Much less can go wrong with it...

Page 1 of 1