Reflector vs VPN connection, security ?

Posted on
Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:31 am
PeteVis offline

Reflector vs VPN connection, security ?

Since I am on Indigo 7 I've had a chance to test the included Reflector service, but it seems to be very slow for me (I'm located in Europe).
I can imagine that the Reflector service is running on a server in the US and that the roundtrip is eating away at the connection speed.
The speed I'm getting with Reflector is making the iPhone app unusable for me.

I am wondering though, in terms of security, would a VPN service on my iPhone offer me the same (or similar) kind of security ?

Posted on
Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:57 am
Bollar offline

Re: Reflector vs VPN connection, security ?

Assuming you're running a properly configured VPN locally at your home, I would say security is superior, if only because you've eliminated a third party from the equation.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:52 am
PeteVis offline

Re: Reflector vs VPN connection, security ?

I see.
I assume that even using a commercial VPN would give me some sort of security against other people eavesdropping on my traffic ?

I like the concept of the Reflector service though, as I understand it, it takes care of port forwarding etc... so this could be usefull where I'm using hotel wifi as they often restrict everything but port 80
OTOH hotel wifi is also often so slow... and I'm having issues with the Reflector speed now even on a very decent connection.

Page 1 of 1