[ANSWERED]: Prism Subscription

Posted on
Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:56 am
Dewster35 offline

[ANSWERED]: Prism Subscription

A couple of questions based on the newsletter that went out recently.

With the new paid subscription for reflector usage:

Will there be bandwidth limits?

Will exceeding these bandwidth limits be handled the way it was in the past with replacing the image with a low file size placeholder?

Will there be notification of this happening prior to it happening?

I think the paid subscription is long overdue. I've felt guilty, as I'm sure others have, by getting such a great product for free. You guys have a great product and I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying that we want you to be around a very long time and insure that the products (reflector included) are sustainable :)

Posted on
Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:23 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Prism Subscription

There is a rough bandwidth limit of about 200 to 250 MB of data per day (per reflector). It is still a manual process for us to add the filtering, which is as you mentioned a replacement placeholder image that is served for refreshing image controls on Control Pages. Refreshing images are the only area to date that has ever caused a bandwidth problems — it occurs when Control Pages are left open for hours that serve frequent images (sometimes multiple large images) every few seconds.

We will try to alert users directly when filtering has been enabled. We have not been good about that during the beta. Since it will no longer be free we'll be better about it. :-)

Note we will be implementing some client side changes (in upcoming Indigo Touch and eventually the Web browser client) that should automatically prevent bandwidth problems: clients viewing Control Pages that are using a reflector which are unattended will, after a predetermined time interval, have their refreshing image controls temporarily paused (or maybe throttled). We believe by making that change filtering should be unneeded.

Posted on
Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:16 pm
Dewster35 offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Prism Subscription

All sounds great Matt. Thanks for the clarifications!

Page 1 of 1