[ANSWERED]Bandwidth Exceeded message

Posted on
Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:48 am
Otis offline

[ANSWERED]Bandwidth Exceeded message

I've been displaying refreshed video images on my control pages for some time now. Now, instead of the image, "Reflector Refreshing Image Bandwidth Exceeded Please contact support" is displayed.

Can I reset this somehow and continue using Prism?

How do I keep it from happening again? Is your limit based on peak usage, or monthly usage, or is it total usage over all time?

Nearly all of the access is through my Wi-Fi network, rather than through Prism. I have an update rate of once per second on several pages. Is that too much?

Is Prism bandwidth being used when Indigo Touch is running in the background on an iPhone?

And, finally, is bandwidth being used when a control page is displayed on the iPhone, but the video image area is completely scrolled off the screen?

Thanks for your help.

Posted on
Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:18 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Bandwidth Exceeded message

Otis wrote:
Can I reset this somehow and continue using Prism?

Email us your reflector name and we'll remove the filter.

Otis wrote:
How do I keep it from happening again? Is your limit based on peak usage, or monthly usage, or is it total usage over all time?

At this time it is a manual process -- when we notice a sustained spike in bandwidth (over 1+ hour) caused by a refreshing image request we turn on a filter for those reflectors.

Otis wrote:
Nearly all of the access is through my Wi-Fi network, rather than through Prism. I have an update rate of once per second on several pages. Is that too much?

Local Wi-Fi is fine since it won't use the reflector at all. But if you are using remote Wi-Fi or if your local Wi-Fi drops for some reason and your phone starts to use a cellular connection, then that traffic will go through the reflector.

Otis wrote:
Is Prism bandwidth being used when Indigo Touch is running in the background on an iPhone?

Only if you have jailbroken your phone to allow background apps such as Indigo to continue to run.

Otis wrote:
And, finally, is bandwidth being used when a control page is displayed on the iPhone, but the video image area is completely scrolled off the screen?
[/quote]
Yes, that will still refresh the image (and use bandwidth).

I plan to improve how we handle this in the future, but it will require changes to the Indigo Touch app. The current process is just a fallback that we use when we see bandwidth spike above normal.

Page 1 of 1