Access Indigo from iPhone without Prism

Posted on
Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:39 pm
bobeast offline

Access Indigo from iPhone without Prism

Hello, I can access Indigo via prism on my iPhone just fine. However, when I attempt to do so via Edge (from outside my LAN) I cannot do so.

I CAN however access it from another computer, so I know my port forwarding is setup correctly. The problem appears to be limited to my iPhone.

Has anyone heard of this? I'm wondering if the Edge network is blocking the port.... (I'm using 8176)

Anyone have any suggestions? BTW, I prefer not to use prism if I can avoid it as it substantially slows down the connection on my iPhone.

Choose to chance the rapids.
Dare to dance the tide.

Posted on
Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:04 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Access Indigo from iPhone without Prism

Hi Bob,

I'm a bit confused. Are you using GoPrism.com in BOTH cases (where it fails and works)? You mentioned port forwarding which isn't applicable to GoPrism.com. If GoPrism.com works from a remote (WAN) Mac, then so should Edge access from an iPhone. I haven't had any problem with Edge-based access via GoPrism.com

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:57 pm
bobeast offline

support wrote:
Hi Bob,

I'm a bit confused. Are you using GoPrism.com in BOTH cases (where it fails and works)? You mentioned port forwarding which isn't applicable to GoPrism.com. If GoPrism.com works from a remote (WAN) Mac, then so should Edge access from an iPhone. I haven't had any problem with Edge-based access via GoPrism.com

Regards,
Matt

Oops sorry for my lack of clarity. GoPrism.com works fine in all cases. It is just measurably slower than without so I'm trying to setup a direct connection instead.

My problem is if I attempt to access http://12.345.678.90:8176 via iPhone (Edge) it doesn't connect. If I type in the exact same address via a laptop from outside the Indigo LAN) it works fine. My router has a fixed IP (represented by 12.345.678.90). My Indigo system uses DHCP with a fixed IP, and the router (an Airport extreme) has port 8176 forwarded to that system. As I said, this all works fine from another computer on a different subnet, but not via iPhone.

Dare to dance the tide.

Posted on
Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:34 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Bob,
bobeast wrote:
Oops sorry for my lack of clarity. GoPrism.com works fine in all cases. It is just measurably slower than without so I'm trying to setup a direct connection instead.

It shouldn't be much slower. Note however, that you have to do a test comparing GoPrism.com and direct remote IP access. If you just enter your router/WAN IP address while you are actually in the LAN, then everything is really done over your LAN. GoPrism.com always is WAN because all the data is reflected off of our hosted server. Normally the speed bottleneck is the ISP upstream speed. If that is slow, then GoPrism.com will be slow, as will any true WAN access.

If you find that GoPrism.com is slower than actual WAN access, then let me know about how much slower. Everything is encrypted over an SSH tunnel, so that can slow things down a bit, but it shouldn't be much slower.

I'm not sure why your iPhone direct access (not using GoPrism.com) is failing. I haven't tried that yet.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:02 pm
bobeast offline

support wrote:
Hi Bob,

Normally the speed bottleneck is the ISP upstream speed. If that is slow, then GoPrism.com will be slow, as will any true WAN access.

I'm not sure why your iPhone direct access (not using GoPrism.com) is failing. I haven't tried that yet.

Regards,
Matt

Yeah. That makes sense. I hadn't considered the unfairness of comparing against all LAN. I just know that the WAF was really low, so I had to change my wife's iPhone to use the IP:port as opposed to GoPrism. The caveat, is the aforementioned inability to access indigo once she goes out of range of the WIFI.

Dare to dance the tide.

Posted on
Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:56 am
bobeast offline

Re: Josh Johnson Pitched Like MLB's Best

pj#bb683 wrote:
Maybe Josh Johnson is not so popular and shining, maybe other pitchers have had more fanfare and more recognition, but none of them played better than Johnson this season. He pitched like the MLB’s best.

umm.......huh??

Dare to dance the tide.

Posted on
Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:00 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Just a spammer or spambot. User deleted, IP banned, etc., etc.

Posted on
Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:30 am
bobeast offline

support wrote:
Just a spammer or spambot. User deleted, IP banned, etc., etc.

That's cool because I thought I had entered an alternate universe. Didn't know your software was that good ;)

Dare to dance the tide.

Page 1 of 1